Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Entry #1

Prompt:
As you reflect on your experiences teaching (or perhaps simply assigning) writing, consider what "feels comfortable":  What core principles do you value and enact in your classroom?  Time for writing?  Conferring with students?   How have those practices remained constant over time?
At the same time, consider your familiarity with a variety of technologies including word processors, digital audio and video editors, and online writing spaces such as blogs and wikis.  What are some of the challenges you anticipate in trying to blend the principles of the writing workshop with these technologies? (OPTIONAL):  In regards to the evaluation criteria for this assignment : What concerns, if any, do you have about the way this assignment is evaluated?  Is there any language in the rubric that you are not familiar with or that does not make sense to you?   (See Rubrics on final pages of this handout.)

Throughout my undergraduate tenure one of the most important aspects I took away from our studies was a social justice/ activist approach to teaching. While it may seem obvious that teachers should treat their students with equal respect, this is not always the case. Therefore, one of my core principles in my classroom is creating an environment where all of my students feel valued and important, safe, and full of unbreakable hope-- hope that they matter in my classroom, hope that once they walk out my door their possibilities are endless. This core principle, that each of my students matters, individually, and that it is my job, my responsibility, to go to bat for each of my students no matter how many curve and screw balls are thrown at them. This ideal is the foundation for how my classroom functions academically, socially, and emotionally. How does this notion relate to reading and writing?

Writing is a form of expression. Through writing my students can get to know one another and in turn I can better know them. They can reveal to me there inner most thought and proudest moments. Because my students are important, I take the time to meet with them, conference about their writing, praise them for what is great and give feedback for what they can improve on. I display their work. I let them publish and share their work. I find their strengths and when they have worked hard, and I know they have done their best I vow to make them feel like the absolute best. Fletcher and Portalupi (2001) say conferences should be “‘short and punchy. Engage, listen, react as a human being. Find something to celebrate in their writing and point it out to them.’” (qtd. in Tompkins (2012) p. 19). . . . TO BE CONTINUED.

1 comment:

  1. I love the voice and stance you take in this entry. The question you ask yourself at the end of the first paragraph is EXCELLENT!

    This is exactly what you want to do in these entries -- allow yourself to question and discover new ideas. When this happens in future entries, don't just let the question hang there. Try and take a stab at answering in for yourself. Push yourself to explore and question.

    Great first entry Jaimie

    ReplyDelete